  • Subject: Re: AB: ULALENA
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 02:28:28 -0000

No secret. Actually I have two clumps of Ulalena in different locations. Both have bloomed, but only this location tends to bloom heavily. Both clumps have been in their respective locations 4-5 years now. So the answer is probably in location. In fact, since bloom last year my personal circumstances have conspired to ensure that nearly all the irises have been on their own. It's been less than two weeks since this bed was cleared of a thick 10-12" layer of packed oak leaves. I'm always behind, but not to the degree that's currently in force. It doesn't help to be getting older and slower, either :). No fertilize, no extra water, buried under leaves and debris. Only the bed with new seedlings got attention and nothing at all like they usually receive. So it's interesting to see which plants manage well. And some are managing. That's one of the nice things about iris as garden plants. A great many can stand a good bit of abuse and survive, even bloom well, 'til the times comes when they can be given attention for optimum growing conditions. A lot of garden plants can't manage and have to be started again from scratch.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA