Re: AB: the anticipated bud
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: AB: the anticipated bud
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:49:18 -0000

It'll stay here because I'm always trying to get them into another generation regardless of the appearance. I'm really ambiguous about OGB- types on the market - at least those 1st generation results. TBs and ABs have moved so far away from the time when they worked pretty well as introductions that I think what a grower expects now pretty much leaves them as misfits. They will not have the bud count and branching of a TB due to the aril genes and, generally speaking, they won't have the aril characteristics in the bloom normally expected of a good AB. Sometimes they'll have abundant growth and good stalk to fan ratios so that they make good garden plants, but then the blooms have to be really distinctive somehow as opposed to merely quirky. This one may do that and make a good garden plant, but only time will tell.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA