Re: Help: Rhizome/stalk question
  • Subject: Re: Help: Rhizome/stalk question
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:11:11 -0400

Well Donald, that's discouraging to hear! But interesting that you have
data showing it can have different causes.

Have you experimented to see if there is anything that can be done to
minimize transplant effect? Other than making sure the roots aren't
damaged & planting right away - neither of which would help me with

I wonder if soaking in rooting hormone before planting would help...

It's on my mind a lot this spring - one group of purchases last year
suffered a lot. I was assuming it was genetics (i.e., freeze damage),
but if it's transplant problems, maybe there is something that could be
done to compensate.

Margie, I don't actually have a greenhouse and the sunporch is already
packed with seedling pots in the winter, so that was more of a
theoretical question - just wondering if anybody had tried it. I might
try repurchasing <one> cultivar & keeping it on the sunporch next winter
just to see if that solves the problem. It's unheated, so gets cold
enough to vernalize out there.

> I have examples of the effect due to freeze damage and from one due the transplanting effect. They look the same, but the dwindling center fan was showing before winter on the transplant, so I don't think they are caused by the same circumstances.

Linda Mann
east TN USA