  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:31:21 -0500

For me the fun part of raising and blooming an iris from seed isn't how
great the result is, but the process that went into getting it. It's a
bonus if it's really nice, but the fun is simply in doing something and then
seeing the results. This is one that's pretty interesting. Bloom is rough
and I didn't exactly love it! Didn't care for the general form nor the
little white steaking that was throughout the bloom. Had great substance
and wasn't greatly effected by the wind so the form here is pretty accurate
for what it did on maiden bloom. The best feature and one that stood out
more than the photo indicates was the blue beard. About the color of really
faded denim jeans. The signal area was more distinct than on the pod
parent, but was very small. Enough to be visually apparent, but not
remarkable. Probably it did help display the color of the beard more. I'm
hoping that a 2nd year plant will lose a bit of the uneven bloom form. No
pods via it or the pollen.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image