HYB: Species Cross Seedling - Garden Name "PBF/RM"
  • Subject: HYB: Species Cross Seedling - Garden Name "PBF/RM"
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:09:09 -0700 (PDT)

This seedling grew a little shorter than usual this year - 15" (usually it's around 17-18"). It has enough faults that I probably won't ever register it [low bud count and branching, tendency for stalks to twist, flowers a little big for plant size]. But it has some good points too and I've been using it alot for hybridizing the past few years. So I'll be posting pictures of some of its offspring soon.

I originally selected before bloom - totally based on foliage color characteristics. It combines the purple foliage bases of its mother (KUPARI x ROSEMARY'S DREAM) with the red leaf margins of it's father (KUPARI x suaveolens var. rubromarginata). I like the dark purple with the blue beard but the fragrance is the main reason why I'll probably always keep this one - it's a strong, sweet, grapey fragrance. I wish I could post that smell.