Photo: A SPEC-X seedling in blue tones
  • Subject: Photo: A SPEC-X seedling in blue tones
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 00:23:05 -0400 (EDT)

Here is a photo of a small species intercross seedling of mine.  I used a yellow form of I. taurica as the pod parent and pollen from a hybrid pumila seedling of mine.  I. taurica is classified as a subspecies of I. pumila.  Since both are tetraploid, I figured they would make a good cross.  I have tried this seedling as a pod parent this month, and a pod seems to be forming on it.  It is 3 and 1/2 inches tall and makes a bright little showing in the garden with its lavender-blue tones and violet fall spot.