Bug Problem

I had someone write me with the problem below. I have never heard of the problem. Any one have any ideas?

I have a problem. Started last year and is rampant this year.

The bloom stalk comes up with plump buds. Before they open, the spathe begins to turn brownish and the bud inside withers. No blooms, therefore.

Last year this happened here and there, but is rampant this year. Last year, I was told when I started inquiring that I had "bud blast."

I'm not so sure. This year, I opened one damaged bud and found many teeny, teeny black creatures moving about. I might say mites, except I see no webbing.

John and Joanne Jones
Registrar-Recorders, American Iris Society

John Jones, Chairman, Electronic Services Committee

35572 Linda Drive
Fremont, CA 94536