Re: Iris unguicularis 'Walter Butt'

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Iris unguicularis 'Walter Butt'
  • From: ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:55:11 -0000

> There are three different levels of concern about making an
> decisions about color.

But what about the fourth option...... that there IS a problem?  I can
understand where you're coming from, but your email indicates that if
you felt there was a colour difference you wouldn't even bother
checking to find out.  Personally, I would rather know whether
something I had as a named variety IS the named variety.  That is why
I asked whether other people had experience with it.  If no-one
bothered to investigate anomalies..... then anything could be sold if
it was "near" the colour it was supposed to be.  Pretty crappy if
nurseries started applying this principle (although that is where
chain stores seem to get their stock from <grin>).  I'd rather at
least TRY to find out, before I share the plant with anyone else as a
named variety.

The person who sent me the original message has since contacted me and
we've had further discussions.  No decision is made, which is why I
was asking others experiences (if they have any).  He also raised a
few suggestions as to why colours could possibly be different.

Out of interest, does anyone else in Australia HAVE "Walter Butt" and
a picture of it maybe?

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia