Re: TB: Eurythmic

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Eurythmic
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:12:25 -0400

Not sure what the relationship is between P. Blyth and B. Blyth.

I saw its photo in Cottage Gardens' catalog before they went out of
business, but didn't try it because I knew it would die here, then
finally broke down and bought it from Superstition.  I was determined to
keep it alive - kept in indoors in a pot in my unheated (pre-heat pump
days) bedroom window thru the winter, put it out in the spring, then as
soon as it warmed up and got rained on, it promptly rotted.  I've never
fussed over a cultivar the way I did this one, treating for rot etc, but
it seemed determined to rot every time it rained.  So I finally planted
it about a foot inside an open shed where its roots could grow out into
soil that got rain, but the only rain that hit the foliage was an
occasional shower when it was really windy and raining hard.

It was doing well, then got trampled during some shed renovation the
following year and I lost it.  Seeing this photo again the other day
makes me wish I had it this spring - instead of 50 seed pods, maybe I
could have had 51 <g>

If you decide to get a start of it, let me know where you find it.  Next
year...

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Tennessee Whooping Crane Walkathon: