{Disarmed} Re: HYB: pod report

  • Subject: [PHOTO] {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] HYB: pod report
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@cox.net
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:03:53 -0400

Shirley  --  I've never noticed any loss of a plant that had several pods.  Attached are photos of the bases of the two plants whose multiple-pod stalks I posted.  The first is Hazelnut Delight.  The stalk, which has been removed, was from the center of the clump between the two major fans.  As you can see, the plant is flourishing.  The second is Stealth Fighter.  The stalk is on the left piece (toward the camera) of the mother rhizome shown and has no increase on it.  It may or may not produce anything once I have snapped off the stalk, but I'm not concerned, because the other piece and the plant as a whole are sound and vigorous.   As can be seen, another spent stalk was snapped off the mother rhizome.  As it happens, this clump was the stellar performer here this year, blooming in late April, then sending up two more fully-flowering stalks more than a month later.

Is it possible that your die-outs occurred after pods were set on single-rhizome plants that had no increase to begin with?  In such a case, the plant may have been heading for oblivion, pods or not.  If the plant has increase and appears healthy, I'd encourage you to set all the pods that you can. --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia