Re: Re: Hermadactylus tuberosus

  • Subject: Re: Re: Hermadactylus tuberosus
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:58:34 -0700 (PDT)

Gareth; You may be happy to kmow that the horrid genus
hermodactylus has been returned to Iris, much easier
to pronounce and as you said it is once again Iris
tuberosa. Brian mathew noted that seedlings actually
produce a bulb first which then sends out runners to
create the amorphous rhizomes and the bulb disappears.
It is closely related to Iris reticulata.

--- Gareth Winter <wintergareth@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> The spring as advancing rapidly here. The weather
> is mild and relatively moist, and losts of irises
> are starting. The little reticulatas have been for
> sale in the local supermarket and there are a few
> more PC seedlings showing colour in the bud. It is
> far too early yet - about a month in advance of last
> year - and I worry about more frosts, which we are
> sure to get. Two years ago the frosts played havoc
> with the flowers, so I have my fingers crossed.
> This little oddity is in flower too - used to be
> Iris tuberosa so it interests us!
> http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group