Versicolor ID

  • Subject: Versicolor ID
  • From: "Jan Sparks" <jansparx@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:03:57 +1000

I'm curious to know where you got it from Colleen. It is a lot like my versicolour seedling which I grew from SIGNA several years back. I have given bits away but probably not enough for it to reach you yet, and also mine would be a bit wider in the falls. i think mine was from seed from "Wine Red" although at the time I didn't think "Wine Red" was a registered name, rather a description. I haven't checked the registrations.
The problem with these is that they set seed very freely and seelings will pop up in the garden, so even with the best of intentions, someone could have passed on a seedling to you rather than the parent plant.
The second problem is that many people grow them and see something similar in a book, on line or in person, and give it that name.
I know that doesn't help a lot but wrong naming is a huge problem.
Cheers, Jan
Hi all you species buffs, can you please help. This was sold to me as versicolor "Wild Wine" however the one photo I can find on the net, show Wild Wine to be much darker.
Is this what Wild Wine should look like, if not any suggestions. Photo colour is accurate,
Many Thanks
Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills
South Australia