Re: New member HI!

  • Subject: Re: New member HI!
  • From: "flatnflashy" <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:44:21 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Iris" <iris@...> wrote:

Two questions:

Are you saying that you use the blades [of aluminum] mini blinds as a
vertical marker in your beds?

Have you tried the new permanent markers from Bic? They are called
Mark-it and look like a Sharpee and have only been on the market
about as long as the retractabls Sharpees. I have used bits of
aluminum blind to mark my germinants. With the Sharpee I could reuse
the same tag over and over as the marking would just erase of with a
pencil eraser. With Mark-it I can only get one use per tag as it
doesn't erase. The Mark-it does take just a touch longer to dry than
the Sharpee.

I don't have any tags old enough to tell about the weathering, but I
use a board to line out my seedlings and the markings on that are
still legible after being left in the beds all year.

> Welcome to the group!
> I too live in Ca.
> A very easy way to keep track of your iris, that is, if you don't
have a large dog, is to get some used mini blinds and cut them the
desired length that you want. Then write on them with No. 2 pencil,
NOT permanent pen! It will fade in the sun and you won't know who
you have!
> I learned the hard way!
> Another way is a map that you draw when you plant them or to invest
in some metal labels. Join the AIS if you have not done so. They
have a web site.
> Enjoy the group and enjoy your iris!
> Bonnie
place for them.
> I'm trying to locate pictures for some Rhis that I got
this last week.