Re: Cult: Borer pupae

  • Subject: Re: Cult: Borer pupae
  • From: Robin Shadlow <rshadlow@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 05:39:56 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks everyone.  That did help, it was indeed a borer pupa.  Right now we see both the larvae and the pupa.  I like the idea of making a moth trap though.  Up until this year, the damage I experienced was minimal.  But the area where I grow my seedlings (figures!) experienced explosive growth this year, enough so that I will have to really ramp up preventative measures.  Next year I will treat everything with Merit.  Unfortunately I can not burn in this location as that would help too.  In general everyone in this area is reporting a lot of borer for the year  :  (
For now, I soak everything that comes out of the affected area for at least 15 minutes.   Those nasty little critters can not swim!
Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE