Re: Re: LA iris photos

  • Subject: Re: Re: LA iris photos
  • From: Betty Ann Gunther <bettyg@cybermesa.com>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 20:21:41 -0600

I suspect that there are some Louisana Irises that would survive in your
zone 6a. Some will survive even in 5a. I have kept a Black Gamecock
outside for several years here in my zone 5a climate. It hasn't
bloomed for me, but it is in alkaline soil -- it prefers acid. If you
could give it acid soil and lots of nitrogen in the growing season I bet
it would work for you. I have heard that Chowning LA Irises are the
most likely to take cold climates, but I believe that Ensata gardens has
grown one that will grow in Michigan's 5A climate. I don't know where
you would get one, but I suspect you could get a Louisiana Iris that
would grow in your zone 6a climate. In fact many LA irises are supposed
to survive in zone 6a.
Betty Gunther
Los Alamos, New Mexico