Re: REB: Easy Smile (MTB)

  • Subject: Re: REB: Easy Smile (MTB)
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:29:57 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Bill.
It's been really hard for me to keep myself restrained. I was so excited when these two sister seedlings ['Cricket Song' and 'Easy Smile'] rebloomed in the Fall of 2006 and then did it again 2007 and 2008. But when they both sent up summer stalks this year, I thought geez... these might be a real breakthrough in the rebloom arena. I realize that they are old-fashioned in form and pretty much just plain purples - and that they're also diploids and on the smaller size (MTBs) - but still... I've tried at least a handful of rebloomers and without special care (which I don't give), most just haven't rebloomed for me. The exception has been the SDB 'Golden Child'.
So to have rebloom at all, I was ecstatic. And even though these MTB's are the product of combining three different bearded species (cengialtii, variegata and suaveolens), they both still have really good fertility.
The clumps are not quite basketball sized now and really need to be divided and lined out to allow better increase. [I'm so far behind on yard work it's ridiculous!] The plan is to send these two to Greg McCullough [Iris City Gardens] for eventual introduction, but I don't know how soon that'll be. I'm trying not to make any promises because I still haven't made good on the ones I've already made, but I'll make a mental note (of your interest) just in case I happen to have some extra pieces at some point that need a home.
Thanks again for sharing in my excitement.
And there are still blooms yet to open!!!
Tom

From: Bill Chaney <billchaney@ymail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 06:55:31 -0700 (PDT)