Re: Germination

  • Subject: Re: Germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:03:48 -0400

Chuck, your comment about only needing two months of chilling for <all>
seeds seems to contradict a lot of what I've read of other people's
experiences planting seeds outdoors in climates where they certainly get
more than 2 months chilling in the first winter.

Including seeds I've planted outdoors before I started burrito'ing.

Don Spoon recommends 4 months.

Joe Ghio had unintentional second year germination that included
STARRING. No idea how much chilling the first winter provides in his
climate.

Mohr did some experiments in a greenhouse in Kentucky cycling thru
repeated chilling and germination temperatures and got additional
germination after each additional cycle. I think he told me it was
published in the Bulletin - maybe in the 70s?

I'm not going to be convinced that 2 months is enough for all crosses
until someone does some controlled experiments in pots of soil using
some of the same parents that have required more chilling than that here.

Linda Mann
TN