HYB: Saved from the plow
  • Subject: HYB: Saved from the plow
  • From: <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 04:31:08 -0400

Trying to make a seedling selection virtue from this harsh spring. This one opened
just late enough to escape any damage from the April cold, although it did not set
a pod.  I always keep an eye out for tall stuff, since Z5 RE breeding tends to
get shorter progeny, and this one was tall, but only 33" this spring. Very nice
branching and intense color, which don't show up in the crummy photo.
The Tenderly offspring I'm getting so much action from tend to have flaring
falls.  That's also something I'm trying to correct.
But first, I had to get it out of the weeds and depleted ground back by the fence.
Next year I'll have a better idea of what it can do and a better chance of fertility.
Should also have lots of choices - too many.  A pink over lavender or blue Z5 RE is
something I've wanted for a long time.
BTW - The first-of-crop fall maiden posted 10-21-08 has a pathetic stalk up and
showing color.  Feed Back X Entangled.  Short sib to the 39" Aaargh seedling that
hasn't managed to open in fall.  Both need a talking to.
Robert - really like that second seedling.  The one with 9 maiden blooms and short
horns.  Nice substance, width and ruffling on a SA - looks like one worth paying
money for!
Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5