Re: HYB: Luminatas - SOFT AIR

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Luminatas - SOFT AIR
  • From: "Paul Black" <midamerg@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 01:41:26 -0000

> Wow!!! That definatly is the ring factor that I have been talking
> about and that I'm seeing with my "ringed" plants. I would classify
> this as a ringed glaciata. As such SA would genetically be pla pla
>  pla. In a cross with Chubby Cheeks you would  never get luminatas
> (well perhaps rarely as one of those random recessive pairings that
> Kidd talk about in TWOI) but you should get  plicatas with a few
> strong lines running down the falls as in Circus Stripes. Did you
> any like this? I will work out the Punnett square predictions for

Hi Chuck,  The cross giving Chubby Cheeks yielded either olive
seedlings like the one in the picture or plicatas.  Soft Air breeds
a plicata and not a glaciata.  As I said in the talk discussion, it
appears to me to be a glaciata except that it does have those few
plicata marks in the heart.  Oh, the mystery of hybridizing.  Chubby
does yield some striped seedlings and also some recessive white or
white glaciatas if you will.  I have always been intrigued with the
recessive whites, but they have never had the quality that would
them to be introduced.  It would be great if you have time and
inclination to work out the Punnett square distributions.  Like
everyone else, you have plenty to occupy your time, so don't feel
obliged to get right on this.  It is
strange that I am still finding things to do with Chubby Cheeks after
all this time.  New ideas keep popping into mind that I hadn't
of previously and since CC usually gives nice form and substance in
breeding, I figure, why not?

Paul Black
Salem Oregon
Zone 8B