Re: To All........

In a message dated 12/10/2002 1:40:32 PM Central Standard Time, irises@senet.com.au writes:

But which cultivar is it, I love your message and the bloom

97-96a is a yet to be named/registered seedling by Merle Roberts. It is the only iris I have seen that has a metallic, tensile gold edge to the degree indicated in his photos. Merle told me it passes this edge on to seedlings. I am excited about this one. I call it a true hybridizing break, though others may differ. Nothing else I've seen compares with this metallic (crystalline to some) edge in width either. Photo is a composite I composed from two pictures Merle said I could use. At his request I removed his name and seedling # from beneath the photo. A gentleman in every respect.

His website is fast, easy to navigate, well worth the visit. Provided you have an interest in what you get when you cross this with that and like irises. His net address follows.

http://users.bentonrea.com/~irisbuff/

As a side note, Walter recently highly recommended one of Merle's seedlings as passing on wide falls trait to seedlings though I can't remember which one. I kinda' let the falls fall where they may (pun intended). Gettin' to where I even kinda like some with falls that look like the ears of a hound dog hangin' its head over the edge of the porch. Course I like dogs and I like my dogs best.

Smiles from the redneck world of hound dog ears and alkaline clay,
Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor