RE: An Oddity

"Judy Hunt" <judyhunt1@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>My animals' veterinarian loves irises and grows a number of them around her office building as well as at her home.  Yesterday at her office, she asked me to look at pictures she had taken recently of what she referred to as a "mutation" that came up in one of her office beds.  I asked her if she had used any herbicide or pesticide in or near the beds and she said nothing had been put on them other than an occasional spray of urine by a passing canine client. They bloomed in the spring, and the attached photos show the rebloom stalks this fall. I told her that it could be from a bee pod, but I have never seen this form on a bearded iris. Any ideas?  I do have a couple more photos if anyone wants to see them.
>Judy Hunt in Louisville, KY, Zone 6

I see this regularly. Its always following a spray of roundup for weeds. Allthough she may not use pesticides, there may be a lawn contratd maintenance. The only other explination is poisoning of soil from dog urine. I have had plants killed by persistant dog watering. Definatly some type of poisoning and not a mutation. It would flower properly if moved to an area protected from dogs and chemicals.