TB: Fiery Temper photos

  • Subject: [iris-photos] TB: Fiery Temper photos
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:30:43 -0700

Hi Bob,

Great question, and just look at the difference in the petal color.  Amazing!

The first thing that I look at - - is your photo seems to have been taken in the shade or on a cloudy day.  Mine, looks to be taken about mid morning in bright sunlight. I don't recall if it (my photo) was the first day, second day, or third day that this particular picture was taken - - but each day out, the flower tends to get lighter due to all the environmental factors.

Next, I realize that many of the irises grown in this desert/in this climate do bloom lighter than the those grown elsewhere. In your case, yours bloom darker than others grown elsewhere. Patrick Orr (not too long ago on Iris-Photos) addressed this issue quite well, pointing out the (environmental factors) difference in our dirt, where we are in relation to the sun, the high temperatures we experience while they are in bloom, fertilizers used, etc.

Next, I look at the beard.  One thing for sure, if it is the same iris - rarely will the beard vary that much in color. My beard color in the shaded area is the same as yours.

Next, I look to see where my iris came from.  In this case it came straight from K. Keppel, so I feel quite confident that it is the right variety.  So, now I go to his catalog to see his photo. The colors look to be the same even though mine is lighter.  The striations near the beard match - so does yours. The standards in my photo fit in the same way (as a fully opened flower) as his does; yours is just opening so it is hard to tell there. The lower part of the falls match as well - - even in color.

Next, look at the buds in my photos (both to the left and to the right of the opened flower). They are almost a purple. (Resembling the color of your iris).

At this point I am still confident that what I am growing is Fiery Temper. I think your iris could be too, but I can't say for sure, because I don't know things about your iris as well as I know things about mine. Look at the Fiery Temper picture K. Keppel scan I will be sending.  this could help.

Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9
IrisLady@comcast.net