Re: Luminata Genetics

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Luminata Genetics
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:17:01 -0000

I have posted a list of the 15 genotypes on iris talk. Of the 15
genotypes, 11 have one or more luminata gene. Even so there is only
one pattern called "Luminata" The other 10 have not been named or
clearly identified. I have some speculations on some of the others.
This has always been a difficult topic. The luminata gene doesn't
cause the veining seen in the phenotype identified as luminata. That
is were the confusion results. The veining is probably caused by the
three glaciata genes trying to remove all of the anthocyanin while the
one luminata gene tries to colour the whole flower. Untill we clealy
identify the phenotype that has four luminata gene we won't know what
the gene does.
Even so, we see the glaciata gene and luminata gene competing for
control of the anthocyanin in 6 different genotypes and several of
these thus result in  veining.

There are other combinations of anthocyanin control genes which
produce some patterning. It takes a study of their genetics to tell
some of them apart or many years of hybridizing with these to know
what you get with certain factors. A close read of the article on
luminatas on the HIPS site will let you know how they struggled with
the definition and why they made it and why they identified
luminata-plicatas as being different. These people were very
experieced and knowledgeable people. Even so when the information was
staring them in the face they still missed it. They had clear evidence
that glaciata X luminata peroduced luminatas yet didn't see it. the
ONLY possible combination to do this would be three glaciata genes and
one luminata gene. It also fooled me for the longest time. Why?
because it was assumed that this dramatic pattern was homozygous (
four sets of the same gene)  and the assumption that the luminata gene
put pigment between the veins. Actualy it is the glaciata genes
removing the anthocyanin. When you can see this the rest starts to get

Chuck Chapman

Yahoo! Groups Links