Re: Zonals: more questions--color and more

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Zonals: more questions--color and more
  • From: "Neil Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:00:07 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "irischap" <irischapman@n...>
wrote:
     "Mike Sutton wrote: 'Maybe a zonal?  not quite? Come To Me X
Fashion Designer.'--Mike

Chuck Chapman responds:  I suspect that this is one of the multiple
dosages of dominat amoena rather then a zonal. No evidence of plicata
in genetics (checked parentage) Produces very similar pattern on
falls but this one is more like Fred Kerr's plants"--Chuck Chapman

Neil comments:
It would be difficult to say just what is going on with the
anthocyanin heritage here, as there are multiple generations of
the "I" dominant 'white' inhibitor hiding the anthocyanins in all
directions in the ancestry.  I don't see in the first several
generations behind this cross where the I(s) inhibitor might have
been introduced.

The only way to tell what is going on is to cross the seedling with
a) the EC I(s) "Fred Kerr" banded amoena type and
b) acknowledged zonals such as SUKY or Joe Ghio's TIME ZONE, or any
plicata or luminata type.  If the flower pattern in this seedling is
the result of any plicata allele the results will be obvious.

The quality of non-blue in the standards does suggest the I(s)
inhibitor.

The same applies to the Lets Boogie seedling.  The only way to know
is to make the crosses and observe the progeny.  The sparkling clean
standards also do suggest the dominant amoena I(s) factor.  Or--this
may be something entire different from either the possibilities of a
dominant amoena variant due to dosage effects or an amoena-zonal.

Another fun possibility is to cross the two seedlings with each
other.  If they have anything in common that will be obvious.  If
they are something entirely different, that too will be clear.

Neil Mogensen