Re:HYB:Zonals:Matrix

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:HYB:Zonals:Matrix
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:47:48 -0500

Betty--LIGHT BEAM from Lesley Blyth is a plicata, but one has to look close to see the markings--from Beverly Sills and Broadway.  (I have it but it has yet to bloom--not any fault of the variety--the soil where it is planted needs either about 10 inches of amendment dumped on top of it, or total replacement.)

It was Light Beam, however, that suggested to me that MATRIX might indeed be a plicata.

It is easy to forget, I think, that the plicata genetics are not alone in controlling the placement and quantity of anthocyanins.  The possibly 20-step long synthesis sequence (meaning twenty different genes being required to put the molecule together in the form we end up having) makes for twenty different points in the production run where diversion, modification, blockage or just plain ruination of the making of a pigment can occur.

And--co-pigmentation, chelation of metal ions and whatnot affect color of anthocyanins....

On top of which, the anthocyanin is also a dosage dependent pigment.  I suspect that you would have to have the pigment being produced before the plicata process can determine where it is to appear and where not.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2455396/rand=300834598