TB: Violet Music (Mahan '90)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: Violet Music (Mahan '90)
  • From: "Cordesview" <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:21:45 -0500

This nice Iris is . . .

Violet Music (Clarence Mahan, '90)  TB, 40" (102cm), VE-EM & RE.
Ruffled uniform medium violet (RHS 86B), F. with white blaze; beards
violet, tipped yellow; pronounced spicy fragrance.
Violet Miracle X Victoria Falls.

About 3 years ago, my cousin mulched this 100 yr. old lilac that I planted VM around last year.  The iris has done wonderfully well, even though it's growing IN the mulch!  I think the mulch was cedar chips.  This plant had just a little Leaf Spot on it this year, and the rhizomes are huge.  I didn't add any extra mulch at all, so I am curious to see how well it survives our zone 4 winter. :-)

By the way, does anyone have a good idea what to do for this lilac shrub?  It used to be bountiful in blooms, but in the last 5 years it is just looking pitiful.  The leaves are on the yellowish side and small.  Hardly any blooms this spring, either.  Could it be the mulch?  (I think it came from cedar.)  Please contact me offlist, for sake of "cyber-room."  :-)

Adam~

Adam Cordes
President -- Mio Iriarians
Hillman, Michigan