Re:PHOTO:RE: Canadian Streaker Babies

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:PHOTO:RE: Canadian Streaker Babies
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:47:00 -0500

Merry Christmas, Chuck, to you and yours from Dorothy and me....
and about those white babies....my very first cross, back in the late forties, of Purissima X some blue--possibly Lent A. Williamson (blue, sorta) had a no-chlorophyll baby.  I wilted when it died....I didn't realize the metabolic role "green" played, but soon learned.
Over the years, there've been others, one here, one there.  None of them ever lived long enough to develop any chlorophyll, unless that tinge of yellow was a trace.
When I started making crosses with ROMANTIC EVENING, however, about one out of ten of the seedlings from some crosses were no-chlorophyll sorts.  I believe others have experienced the same thing.
None have ever been chimeras, but I've read your posts about those avidly.  I am astonished the proportion of albinos is as high as it is from CANADIAN STREAKER.  One would think an iris with half its leaf tissue green would give half green offspring, more or less.  Obviously not!
I wonder if a bud-style graft into a green-bearing rhizome of a small but actively growing plant is possible...you've probably tried it.  If the graft, or in-budding, were successful, one would think the necessary nutrients would continue to be supplied to the seedling.  ...Just a thought.
Neil Mogensen

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2455396/rand=963881847