OT: Look what we found

Found this fellow in our garden the other night. It's shell was the size of a dinner plate, which means it's a well-aged Long-Necked Tortoise, as they grow very slowly. Have no idea how long it's been around but as our garden has only been established for 7-8 years I can only assume that at some point he has wandered up from a very large dam about half a kilometer away. It's wonderful that such delightful creatures lives in our garden.
We also checked out the SA frog web site. Of the 9 types of frogs that live in the Adelaide Hills area, we have heard 8 of them and full choral quantities. Plently of tortoise food.
We are surprised, that with the number of frogs we have, 5 ponds and plenty of cover, how few snakes we see. Only 4 sightings in 9 years.

Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills AUST
zone 8/9

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS