Re: Re: REB: Best rebloom performers?
  • Subject: Re: Re: REB: Best rebloom performers?
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:53:44 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the suggestions Loic and Linda.

Less than 10% of "supposed to rebloom" do for you!!??!!
Can't say that I'm happy to hear that Loic - it's a sad disppointment -
but I am glad to know that it might not just be my neglectful
growing conditions to blame for my sad history of rebloom.
I've seen the pictures of your gardens and they look
beautiful and well-cared for.

I'm glad that you mentioned 'Claire Doodle' and 'Many Mahalos' because
I hadn't been thinking of tetraploid MTB's.

Linda, I guess I'm going to have to consider giving 'Immortality'
another try. It only bloomed either Spring or Fall but never both
for me, while I had it. 'Harvest of Memeories' sounds like a winner
too. Have you ever tried some of the TB's from Loic's list (like 'Northward Ho', 'Over and Over', 'Lake Reprise' or 'Cantina')
there in the "vale"?

My sister lived about a half hour away from me at the time and was
making new flowerbeds and didn't really have much to put in them.
So seeing a perfect opportunity present itself... I'd buy a bunch
of reputed rebloomers and she'd grow them to see if they'd do well.
Like I said, she took much better care of things than I typically
do, so she had a quite a few that seemed to grow alright, but still
not much rebloom. She nows lives about a half an hour away but in a
different area, and has mature trees (woodland) blocking almost all
direct sun, so the bearded irises are really not doing too well for
I think I am succeeding in converting her from a bearded only kind
of gal - she's starting to appreciate the crested roof irises (tectorum)
that I snuck into her shady flowerbeds one fall when she was
recovering from a surgery.
Now if I can only get her to start daubing ;0)