Re: HYB: Megglethorp X Double Scoop
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Megglethorp X Double Scoop
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:12:07 -0000

This is one that you should do hot water test on, so you can see what is happening.

That is , take a petal of the falls, put it in a dish, and pour boiling water on it. Let it sit, and then pour it off. You may have to do a couple of times to remove all the water soluble anthocyanin.

When you have done, you will see a light yellow with a dark yellow spot where you had the dark spot. What is happening is that the anthocyanin combines with the dark yellow to produce the dark purple/red, and with the light yellow to produce the blue/lavender.

Chuck Chapman