Re: Re: HYB: seed pots
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: seed pots
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:07:53 -0500 (EST)

We're working in different worlds, climate wise, and with different iris classes.  One of the good things about breeding irises in my climate is the ability to let mother nature take care of the germination process.  My best germination, ever, was when I dug a v shaped trench to set the pots in, but I don't have that type of energy any more.  I do try to keep the seed wet in the spring to prolong germination.

Griff places his pots in a cold frame that is taller than his pots, while you have your pots in a horse trough.  Is this for convenience, or is there a special reason for the 'wall' around the pots?  I'm assuming it's a open drain, and rain clouds rarely stall out over your area?  I've seen several times this year that my lighter pots would be floating in the trough.  Clay pots break in my winters.  I can only use them for annuals.