Re: HYB: seed pots
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed pots
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 05:03:03 -0500

I'm doing another experiment this year. Dried seeds, chilling in damp
paper towels without soaking first.

After 2+ months, no germination. I was hoping to pot them up about now,
get them outdoors for a week of heavy watering to remove germ
inhibitors, then bring them in to the sunporch. But I'm not sure how
well the garden hose is going to work when it's below freezing :-(

Last year, putting fresh seed (still in the pod, shelled later) straight
in the fridge without drying, using the warmer fridge temperature (40 to
45oF), it didn't take as long chilling to start germination and it was
still so hot and buggy outside, I lost most of the early ones. Maybe
had slightly better overall germination than at lower temperature (35 to
40oF), or maybe just better seeds/stronger crosses.

So I thought I'd try to slow things down a bit this time, use "spring"
rains to trigger more germination all at once. Best laid plans. Where
is global warming when I need it? I thought about putting the pots in
the bathtub and showering them, but I really don't want to go a week
without bathing ;-)

I guess I'll try to soak them in their baggies & plant afterwards. Messy.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7