Re: re: seeds
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: re: seeds
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:06:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi Vicki,

<<we soak the pots in transplant water in a galvanized tub, remove the physical pot, and gently separate the seedlings.>>
Back in my early years, I tried removing my seedlings while they were submerged in a tub of water.  I believe it was Ed Roberts, one of our regional hybridizers, a great man, who had me try this.  Don't think I added the transplant stimulant, but I have used it at times.

Could be my habits have been skewed due to breeding rebloomers. I've not found iris seedlings to be delicate so long as they reach a decent size before transplanting, and are not planted in extreme heat.  Several years ago, I dropped a seedling, found and planted it the next day.  It lived.

Betty  W.