Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
  • From: John Baumfalk <johnb002@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 10:15:16 -0500

Hi friends. Here is some of my experience on aril seeds. The oncos can
take,depending on specie, from 1 year to
over 20 years to germinate naturally. The latter I have not reached yet; it
is from literature. The regelias can also benefit from this.
This is why the forced germination method of cutting the seed was
developed. Elm Jensen taught this to me.

I soak the seeds for at least 1 week in a plastic crafts container changing
the water only if it becomes cloudy.
Then I drain and rinse the seeds well in a tea strainer. I then soak in
pure clorox for 1 minute and rince
real good in hot and then cold tap water. Then place them on a paper towel
to dry enough that they won't
slip out of my fingers. I use an exacto knife and slice a thin layer off of
the end that the aril was on.
Attached is a pic of a cut seed. You can see the pure white embryo in the
offwhite endosperm.
I put damp vermiculite in the craft container and lay the seeds on it
and they go in the fridge. I sterilize the vermiculate with 15 seconds in
the microwave after it is wet.
I usually get germination in 1 to 4 weeks this way. The long soak I think
is essential as the seeds
rehydrate and plump up well. I have very good luck with the oncos this way.

John B

JPEG image