Re: AB: parents & kids
  • Subject: Re: AB: parents & kids
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 22:01:42 -0500

Merry Christmas, Donald!  Our rain will probably arrive frozen.  --  Griff
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 12:53 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] AB: parents & kids

The seedling in the upper left is AT LAST X LUELLA DEE. It's a small thing,
but like all the results from that cross reliably blooms every year.
Doesn't produce pollen, but has set pods regularly. None germinated 'til
this cross with ENERGIZER. Only three, but they bloomed. I used E a lot
and saw varied different pod parents bloom from its pollen. The results
were variable. It seems to me that it must represent a lot of recessive
genes because it didn't seem to strongly give any characteristics to the
blooms derived using it. The two results with sharply recurved falls
relaxed and didn't stay tucked under. These photos were taken early trying
to get ahead of the wind, but give an idea of the colors and pattern. No
reason for making the cross except to try and get the seedling parent to
produce viable seeds. I do like plants that put up bloom stalks every year
no matter what conditions they've been through weatherwise.

I hope Santa is good to everyone tonight. Got my present early. It RAINED

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA