CULT:Update
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: CULT:Update
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:03:59 -0500 (EST)

It's been a very cold December.  Today will top out around 67 degrees.  Yesterday's high was 57.  During the month of December, there have been three other days just over 50.  The rest have been below 50.  The daytime high has been below freezing for many of these days.

Thought I'd give an update for those who were concerned about my late planted iris.  I checked in on them this afternoon.  There are three beds, all planted a bit late due to the prolonged heat and the need for my son to work in VA for over a month during the summer.  He tills and works my beds.

First bed had no rhizomes heaving.  Second bed had one rhizome showing some mild heaving.  The third and last bed had half a dozen of the last planted that were sticking up out of the soil (heaving) approximately 1/4 inch.  All were pressed back into the soil.  This was mild heaving compared to reports I've heard from states further north. (several years ago)

The rhizomes in this last bed were saved from an area that was grown up somewhat.  They may not bloom, but probably wouldn't have bloomed in their previous condition.  They were originally planted in 2004 & 2005 so the soil was a bit worn.  They'll appreciate the new soil.  Mainly cycle rebloomers.

Betty Wilkerson
KY zone 6