Re: Watercolors of Irises

That is a very striking pattern!

You're right about sunlight and fading in art. Art should be kept out of direct sun due to fading. You'll notice most galleries don't have windows, or at least cover them, and they rarely place works of art, especially lithographic prints, in their windows. Posters aren't usually as valuable.

My piece will hang facing out of reach of any direct sun on a large wide wall, and while it's near a few windows, they all point away from that wall.

I'm not experienced with watercolors since I use mostly pencil and acrylics... the nice thing about acrylics is that they can mimic oils and watercolors - watering them down gives the appearance of a watercolor (they're water-soluble) and they can be layered and played for depth very easily. I also have transparent gels which can deliver awesome layering with a very light touch. I'm shooting for intense detail in this one, so when the basic colors are laid in, the real fun will be in rendering the veins and variegations=