Re:iris-talk OT:Mulch in Iris Beds!

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:iris-talk OT:Mulch in Iris Beds!
  • From: "Bob & Donna Lockman" <thelockmans@tntie.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:07:11 -0500

Correction, already, Compost in iris beds...Hope we did an OK thing here. We
have 4 iris beds. We top the Japanese Iris bed  with compost with no
problems resulting. This year Bob started with compost and mulch in the rose
beds and came on down into TB iris beds...then he asked me if he put the
mulch where I wanted it! At first I panicked, all I could imagine was rot,
rot , rot! I ran out to look and he had left a circle around the clumps of
rhizomes with a radius of about 4 inches. say 8 to 12 inch circles depending
on the clump. He said he wanted all the beds to look nice. You know how
fresh newly topped beds look and smell...Well, I haven't removed any yet. I
am thinking I will walk the gardens after it rains and if any washes onto
the rhizomes then I will remove it? What do you think, will my iris stay
healthy?I am nerveous about it. Should I be? He did this to two TB beds and
to the bed of shorter irises too. Got to admit the place looks good . Bob is
staying busy in the gardens now that he is retired. But he does get ahead of
me on things sometimes!

Monitoring Service trial