virus markings

  • Subject: [iris-photos] virus markings
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:23:38 -0800

My experience with older arilbreds and virus markings is that virus markings are both genetic and weather dependent. Some arilbreds are normally heavily virus marked, others do not have virus markings regardless of weather conditions or adjacent cultivars which are  heavily virus marked. Some arilbreds will have severe virus marking one year and then none the next. My model is that cooler and/or wetter weather appears to be more conducive to virus markings. Most of the more experienced arilirisarians who helped me in my beginning adventures with arilbreds were of the opinion that minor virus marking was a fault but not necessarily a sufficient condition for discarding a cultivar or a seedling. Heavy virus marking was a sufficient condition for discarding.
Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762