Re: Wal Mart Iris

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Wal Mart Iris
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:29:33 -0700

For what it's worth, here's what I can buy at Wal Mart in central New
Mexico this season (at least here are the names that are on the packages).
I made the list from packages present at two stores, so I could look them
up and see if any were ones I wanted badly enough to take a chance:

Camelot Rose
Cherub's Smile
Color Tart
Coral Chalice
Dover Beach
Earl of Essex
Edith Wolford
Full Tide
Gypsy Caravan
I. pallida Variegata
Michigan Pride
Mother Earth
Night Edition
Persian Berry
Prissy Miss
Radiant Apogee
Stepping Out
Summer Wine
Titan's Glory

A few are left over from last autumn, but still look tolerably OK (I'm sure
they can still grow).  There are two to four plants per package, and for
around $125.00 (if one bought one package of each) it would make for quite
an impressive Iris bed of roughly 60 plants (assuming there were no
losses).  Wonder what percentage are correctly named?  I know the I.
pallida is correct (it has stripes on the leaves), but I don't know if it's
the "white" one or the "yellow" one.  They don't go so far as to tell you
on the packages what class they are in (just sort of a generic, "one size
fits all" on the packages), so for instance you wouldn't know to put Batik
in front so it doesn't disappear behind the taller ones.  [I actually did
that when I first got Batik, because I bought it at a local Iris sale as a

So far I haven't bought any; probably won't.