Re: New to Iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] New to Iris
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:12:06 -0700

Hi Debbie,

Well, this won't help much, but -

Boy does that look familiar!!!  Sorry though, I've never been able to put a
name on mine either.  Look at a message titled "HIST: Copper Lustre Not"
posted on Feb. 15, 2003 from Grower.  They are clearly not the same Iris,
but there are similarities.  I have both (I think, but I really need to
look at my photos and compare) and I have been trying to find the names
myself.  At least I know that these two similar Iris are being grown by
other people in other regions (Cindy Rivera - or Grower) is from my area,
but she implied that she got her's from elsewhere (I need to ask where,
didn't think to - are you reading this Cindy??).

In a post directed to Cindy about her pseudo "Copper Lustre" I confused her
photo with my plant which matches Debbie's photo, but I think I alluded to
another smaller and browner one, which I think is the match for Cindy's
plant.  OK, now I'm confusing myself.  Anyway, now, after looking at the
photos on a different screen and comparing the two, I'm pretty sure that
Debbie's plant is my larger REALLY vigorous one that tends to look lavender
from a distance.

Cindy's "Copper Lustre" is, I think, the other "browner" one that is
smaller and hardly shows up from a distance.  In my garden they never quite
make TB proportions, even in good years, and probably should be called
Intermediates.  Some of mine are still mixed up with other Iris after my
latest move, and I just write "brown" on the leaves when they bloom, so I
can come back and put them in the "brown" patch later.  In some light they
look more gray or dull lavender though.  Also vigorous, but not nearly so
fast growing.

Both of mine have purple at the base of the leaves.

For a long time I thought maybe they were volunteer seedlings that came up
among my other Iris.

Now then, does this jive with observations y'all have made on your plants?
One of these days I'll quit just commenting and actually post some pictures
of my own - really.

Hope somebody else here recognizes them.