Re: TB:crossing Zandria (was Zandria with horns)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB:crossing Zandria (was Zandria with horns)
  • From: Sterling Okase sterling_o@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:14:07 -0800 (PST)

> Sterling Okase wrote:
 ....a lot of the seedlings I got are wildly colored
and striped like Zandria.

<chris.darlington@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Were the pollen parents plicatas.  It is my
> understanding that if one
> wants broken color seedlings, you need to use pollen
> from a plicata.

I am no expert on how the broken color thing happens
in plicatas but I have read in several articles that
crossing plicatas with broken color things will
eventually give you broken color seedlings.

As far as I know Zandria is not a broken color
plicata. Its parents are Fancy Tales X Planned
Treasure and I don't think either are plicatas. I
think of Zandria's striped pattern as a modern version
of the old variegata pattern. But I am no expert.

And to your question, I crossed Zandria with
tetraploid medians of the Craigs and Hager and none
were plicatas. Many of the seedlings were wildly
colored just the same, and quite nice in form,
branching and bud count. One was even close to MTB
size in the first generation. Now that you mention it,
it would be fun to cross Zandria with plics and BCs.
No telling what you would get.

Sterling