re: meauring

  • Subject: [iris-photos] re: meauring
  • From: Vicki Craig vicki_c@attbi.com
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:17:50 -0800

Gosh Jeff,
Guess I should have sent my note to you on measuring iris to iris-photos
instead of privately.
Perhaps you will allow me to clarify my means of measuring blooms. I do
make the traditional overall measurements of the falls, tip to tip as
they normally lie. Then base to tip of the standards. One can also
derive the distance from the  center of the flower to the tip of the
longest fall and add double that distance to reach the total width of
the falls then plus that with the height of the standards. However, I
was not able to illustrate the ruler I use in the photo on it's side, as
I wanted to show the method. The bloom I used only had a stem 3" long
and I had placed it in a flower holder lined with moss.
i.e if the length of the longest fall is 1 1/2 " from the center of the
flower and the standards are 2" above the base of the flower, then the
overall dimensions of the flower do not exceed 6".  Or if the with of
the falls is 3" and the height of the standards is 2", the over all
bloom size is less than 6".
Hope this clarifies my earlier statement.
Vicki