Re: best catalogs for pictures

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] best catalogs for pictures
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:46:03 -0800 (PST)

Harold your goal of 3,000 images of Tall Beardeds is exciting and very much like the goal I have set for the Iris Species Encyclopedia. I hope you are wrong about the disappearance of printed material. While it is true that broadcasting on the web is very economical compared to printed matter it is very ephemeral. Suppose you don?t pay your bill for the web page one month, wouldn?t all be lost?  As a dedicated Bibliophile, I love going through old catalogs and browsing through the stacks of a library. I realize a great deal is available on the web but the hands on experience that printed matter gives is much more enjoyable to me than searching for web pages. Often the page I want is unavailable or takes too long to download. I can thumb through pages of a book and have better control of the images I am looking for. If the internet results in a loss of color catalogs than I am not sure that it is progress. Of course in the ideal world both will exist and hopefully both will get better.

Cathy <kittencampi@earthlink.net> wrote:
Harold Peters wrote:
I have just finished scanning several hundred TB photos in preparation for a
major update of my web site. When the site is complete, there will be 2000
to 3000 iris photos. That will probably be more photos than all of the
printed color catalogs combined. Take a look at Leota's Garden web site for
quality photos. Ron is a good photographer.

If it wasn't for the fact that a significant number of iris customers are
not computer oriented, there would be no printed color catalogs. The
economics of a website are far better than the economics of a printed color
catalog.  My website host charges $25 per month for up to 100 megs of
memory. That will easily accommodate 4000 photos. I estimate the marketing
value of the color catalog diminishing in less than 10 years to the point
that printed color catalogs will be extinct. Rather than collect catalogs,
why not just visit iris sites and save photos of cultivars of interest.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
harold@directcon.net <mailto:harold@directcon.net>

Wow! Thats a big project. Knowing your diligence for naming iris pictures to aerospace tolerences it will not only be a great catalog but possibly the best reference available. Considering the number 3000 I assume these photos will be the easily downable size of most of the Iris-Photos files?

Cathy and Michael, Stockton Ca.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links