Re: HYB: Goals

In a message dated 2/1/2005 2:56:30 PM Central Standard Time, jgcrump@erols.com writes:

The cross is WINESAP x OPPORTUNITY.  Any suggestions?

Advice comes cheap. I have always been drawn to monochromatic color displays with many nuances in the color tones of the bloom. Too, I have some difficulty with the drugery of pedigree research so am more intuitive in my approach to crosses I make here.

So.... I would most likely cross your seedling to one of monochromatic color with similar nuances. Thinking one in the same color family with thumb prints the preferred cross. After that, a different color family with similar monochromatic color nuances. After that with any iris that had good pollen.

The first goal of hybridizing here is to produce seed. The second goal is to be awed by the bloom of a seedling never before seen by the eyes of others. The third goal is to have the outcome actually produce what I expect.

Hybridizing rarely disappoints here. I reach 2 out of 3 of my goals with every seed pod. <laughin'>

Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links