HIST Wabash Wanna-be; was Umbrata pattern

  • Subject: [iris-photos] HIST Wabash Wanna-be; was Umbrata pattern
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 02:10:15 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 02:10:15 -0700

Hi Diana,
I don't know if this was ever resolved, but after doing a fair bit of photo comparing, I can't find a single thing that says to me that this is not 'Wabash'.  All the details of flower pattern and color match. Often the form in 'Wabash' is more open with the falls more spreading, and 'Wabash' has a rather small flower as compared with most TB's.
To me it looks like it could well be 'Wabash'.
I don't see a lot to distinguish it from 'Bright Hour' either, but I don't have as many photos of that.  A couple of fairly reliable photos show somewhat finer veining and a smaller style, but the one at HIPS looks very much like this (and like 'Wabash').  If it has PBF, that tends to lean the likelihood toward 'Wabash' as well.  I have only seen a couple of 'Bright Hour' plants, but I'm pretty sure there was no PBF.
Leaving just a bit of uncertainty in there though - since I'm not positive.