RE: MTB Rim versus veins

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: MTB Rim versus veins
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:59:42 -0500

Chuck, I find both the MDB and MTB comparisons of great interest.

I think something very similar is at work in some of the variations of the Umbrata spot in BB's and TB's, where we have the veining and dotting of *I. variegata* plus whatever other genetic elements are at work giving the wide variety of "butterfly wing" veins.  A number of the products from Tempo Two/Barry Blyth have these beautifully developed.

Among Joe Ghio's work, there have developed a number with striking veining among those kindred to ROMANTIC EVENING, which, from its progeny, certainly does have the Umbrata spot in addition to a number of other significant factors.  That Umbrata interacting with other genetics seems to produce some remarkable patterns, one of which may be evident in NOTORIOUS and Hamner's CINNAMON SUN, both of which evidently have the L&S in their genetic makeup.

Whatever it is that accounts for the recently surfaced "L&S" (line and speckle) pattern observed in PUCCINI, IMPULSIVE, QUANDARY and several others from Ghio and Keppel, it appears to interact with the Umbrata spot in a manner somewhat like what you have observed with the MTB example.

Just to be clear, however, the L&S is definitely not a plicata allele.  That has been tested adequately by both Keppel and Ghio.  It is something distinct.

I'm wondering if it may not be a recently surfaced allele of the Umbrata spot.  I plan to make some additional crosses to explore this.  I do already have one cross between an Umbrata spot expressed seedling from ROMANTIC EVENING crossed with IMPULSIVE which should bloom this spring.  Sib crosses and back crosses to L&S types may help clarify the relationship, if any.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada