Re: Re: email that was named "hello" - was it real?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: email that was named "hello" - was it real?
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 06:47:14 -0500

Using the "Properties" the "from" line or subject line in the headings I have tried to trace back some of these messages to their origins.  The ones that get under my skin are those that supposedly originate from *me.*  For a time my address was blocked by the Wisconsin "Road Runner" ISP used by Char Holte.  I had to enlist the aid of my own ISP to get the block removed.  In the meantime I used an alternate mailbox and address.  There is a fair amount of spam circulating with my address attached as "From."  I'm powerless to stop it.

The source of these offensive materials always disappear behind a screen of silence originating somewhere in SE Asia--either in China or one of the many countries south of there.  The tools used to identify the ISP from which such messages come is hidden when it comes to SE Asia.  On those of American or European origin, it is rather easy to trace right back to the originating ISP and sometimes to the account which actually was used for posting or mailing the message.

A note to the webmaster at the ISP from which the offending material came with an attachment of the message as received, using the header in the Inbox ("Forward...", then to webmaster@....) often stops the garbage.  One's own ISP is sometimes helpful, sometimes not, as it also runs into this wall of silence.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=544201963

Yahoo! Groups Links