Re: CULT: best orange

  • Subject: Re: CULT: best orange
  • From: mike theissen <miketheissen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:08:49 -0800 (PST)

Three of the nicer new orange iris that impressed me were Brilliance-L. Painter-2005; Fiery Figure-S. Innerest-1998; Volunteer Pride-T. Parkhill-2005. I am having problems attaching photos to e-mail so no pictures. I had the privilige of growing these for 2 years for the 2005 AIS national convention and they are three that I now have growing in my own collection.I also grew several of the other oranges. Crackling Caldera-Aitkens-2003 yellow orange; Erotic Touch-S. Innerest-1998-a brown orange; Augustine-O. Schick-2005- a pink orange; Tiki Torch-O. Schick-1999-a light orange;  Trillionaire-D. Spoon-2003 a more yellow orange;  Golden Panther-R. Tasco-2000- another brown orange. All of these grew well, bloomed well enough that I have all of these in my personal collection.   Mike

Betty et al  --   This shower of oranges really has surprised me.  What a range of cultivars and preferences  --  and stretching over decades!  Interesting, too, are the different pedigrees behind them.  Also, with the exception of Marksman and, maybe, Tennessee Vol (at least as pictured), all appear to be well on the yellow side of yellow-red.  Are there any out there in the RHS 28A - 32A range?  --  Griff