Re: HYB: potting up burrito babies -step 4

  • Subject: Re: HYB: potting up burrito babies -step 4
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:37:38 -0500

I don't know what to tell you, Christian. I've not had more than a very
few seedlings damp off this year, and while in earlier discussion, most
breeders disagreed with my assessment that sensitivity to damping off is
at least partly genetic, I believe that even more now than I used to.

You may be right about drainage being better in the pots I'm using than
your situation. The potting mix is actually a little slow to re-wet and
does drain freely. I pour a good bit of water onto the freshly planted
seeds (quarter to half a cup? on a 4 inch pot), let it drain a little
while, then move the pots to an upside down plastic box lid to catch any
remaining drain water. After a week? or so, if the potting medium seems
to be drying out (test by feeling the surface), I soak it again, and
(whenever I remember!) repeat until I transplant seedlings to 8 inch
pots. At which time I may move ungerminated seed pots outdoors for the
rest of the winter for more chilling, or (as this winter) if it's
getting down to 40oF at night on the sunporch, will leave them, making
sure the ungerminated seeds don't dry out.

<That sounds like a lot of moisture. I'm seeing a lot of damping off
at about the time the seed burns off, which I'm attributing to the
moisture.

Perhaps the difference is that my seed pots are more shallow.
Perhaps your moisture is draining away from the seeds...>
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8